Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Birds and the Bees, your disabled, not dead, sex is still possible!


There are always 2 questions I am asked when meeting new people: 1: What happened to you? /What’s wrong with you? And 2: Can you have sex?  So I thought I would take the time to clear up some confusion. 1: I was born with spina bifida and am paralyzed, 2: Yes, I can have sex, I have hormones to ya know? I can have sex quite normally actually. In my opinion (let me know if I am missing something) there are 3 things needed in order to have sex when being disabled. 

1: A loving, caring partner you trust (Don’t take the chance otherwise)
2: One of the 2 types of plumbing, while your partner has the other piece of the puzzle (need I spell this out?)
3: The ability to get creative, use protection/precautions, know your limits/abilities and feel confident with what you’re doing.

THAT’S IT! That’s all you need!   It’s not rocket science people!
I think as a mature adult, you will have question 1 and 2 covered so I am going to talk about #3. It’s simple when you are with someone who is willing to get creative and that you trust and you most importantly USE PROTECTION and take the necessary precautions, you can easily figure out how to successfully have sex. Think about this, there are many different positions, contraptions and settings where sex can happen.  So something doesn’t function like an able bodied individual, sex is still possible.  For example, my legs don’t work; everything else is there so why can’t I have sex?

Sex can happen in many different places, in many different forms. There is the bed, the floor, the table, sitting up, laying down, on your back, on your stomach, on top, on the bottom and even in the water.  There are many different positions as well such as missionary, doggy style, cowgirl and many others.  The whole point to this blog is that you are able to figure it out if you have questions 1 and 2 covered! 

Try different things, getting creative can even be fun if it’s with the right person, find out what you enjoy, even consider going see a doctor or going to Planned Parenthood for advice. Keep in mind always do your own research and understand your limits. In this case and any other situation you are faced with in life, never think you can’t do something if you put your mind to it. In this case, proceed with caution, be smart and make sure you are doing what is right for you. For all you people out there that think you can’t have sex or are wondering if someone disabled can remember BOTTOM LINE: ITS JUST A CHAIR!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers