Saturday, April 21, 2012

Traveling-Planes, Trains and Automobiles

First of all, let me say I know it has been awhile since my last post. New job and wedding planning, need I say more? I have been travelling alot this year and realized while there are alot of accommodations that allow disabled people to travel, lets face facts not everything is ADA compliant as it should be. But, good news, with a few creative ideas traveling is still possible. First off lets talk about the great accomodations out there for disabled people while traveling. Airplanes for example, being able to board the plane first before being bombarded by people and the ability to use an aisle chair because the aisles on the plane are too small are great accomodations for disabled people. Hotel rooms with wider door ways, lower counters, walk in showers and grab bars are also great accomodations for disabled travelers. Great customer service and people who are willing to help are also a plus!

Now on to my point, while there are a lot of places and accommodations out there, lets face it, not every place you go is ADA compliant. For example, I recently took a girls trip to the beach and even though we called ahead of time to double check that things were compliant when we arrived I couldn't fit through the door way of the bathroom that was smaller than my hall closet in my apartment. Now, after a few choice words to the hotel manager and it being 12:30 AM with no other hotel with availability, he is lucky that I'm creative. Since I was unable to fit into the bathroom in my regular chair, simply by putting a folding chair or office chair in the bathroom will solve that problem. So, for those of you that have the ability to lift themselves, just put a chair in the bathroom and boom you are able to climb to the toilet and the bathtub with no problems. This also allows you to have access to the sink if it is located in the bathroom also. Word of warning, be careful, sometimes these chairs get slippery! I can't tell you how many times I have had to do this! More times than I can count. Camping, trips to Disneyland and beach trips just to name a few times I have had to use this creative idea. Now I know it is still not ideal but rather than not being able to shower or use the restroom, I would be happy to climb on a folding chair for a day or two. Looking back, I still had a blast on these trips!

Next up, airplanes...

While airlines do try there best to allow disabled people smooth traveling there is one complaint that I have about flying besides the fact that it scares me to death.  THE BATHROOMS! Seems to be a common theme today but I have a lot to say about this topic. Any one know how it feels to hold it for 9+ hours because you don't have access to a bathroom? I DO! Every time I travel I end up stuck in my seat the whole flight while watching people going to and from the bathroom as they wish while I get to stay seated the whole time due to small aisles, my chair being stored where the luggage is and the fact that the bathroom is the size of a shoe box.  You would think that there would be some improvements now a days with this issue but lets face it for now were all just going to have to deal with it until someone does something about it. FYI, can someone please invent a plane where disabled people are able to move around comfortably and actually have access to a bathroom. That would be awesome!

Secondly, the aisle chairs. A: Could those things get any more narrow? Some of us have a little junk in the trunk and those things are not comfortable. B: Riding from the airport onto the plane in the aisle chair could not be more bumpy and rough. C: Is it necessary to have 4 million straps across someone, why not just use a straight jacket that would be a heck of a lot more comfortable. While these chairs are designed for our safety, in my opinion the aisle chair is due for an upgrade now a days.


Number three on the list trains and rental cars...

I don't have much to say about trains because I have not been on one in a very long time but I'm sure just like airplanes there are changes that need to be made. But, rental cars on the other hand, are the 2nd most frustrating thing about my traveling experiences, hotel accommodations being my number one complaint if you haven't caught on to that! I think there is no excuse for rental cars these days not having hand controls as an option. In this day and age there definitely should be some rental cars available to disabled people while traveling. Instead of always having to travel with someone who can drive a car without any adjustments it would be nice to have the option to travel by myself and see what I want to see on a trip when I want to see it.

All of these things are merely my opinion and things that make traveling frustrating for me but I am not discouraging disabled people from traveling in the least. In fact, I am trying to convince you of the opposite. Traveling is more then possible with a few adjustments and great friends who are willing to help. So go out and see the world and go where you want to go! Have some fun, just get a little creative! You are more than capable of traveling and the majority of places out there are more than accommodating. So don't be scared to think outside the box and keep in mind anything is possible. In the end, you can always do what you want because IT'S JUST A CHAIR! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers