Monday, September 14, 2015

My Attitude

I stopped writing because I believe that I started this blog to inspire others but for the last 2 years I seem to have lost the inspiration I felt when I started this blog. Until a few weeks ago.....

I was with 2 of my greatest friends Eva and Keely at the mall shopping. We stopped in a women's clothing store and we were helped by a very nice sales lady. I had asked several questions about different styles of pants and complained that I was unable to find a single pair of pants in her store that fit my body. I remember saying to her "I guess it could be worse right?" and giving up on the pants search. We had talked about several things and while talking to all three of us she turned to me and said "Have you concerned doing motivational speaking? You have such a great attitude!" It was this statement that once again after 2 years of not posting anything got my wheels turning again. I spent the next few weeks gathering my thoughts and pondering MY ATTITUDE.You see my attitude is exactly what got me to where I am today. Given it was also the support of my family and friends but it is my attitude that helps me get out of bed every day. My attitude is my motivation.

I started thinking about how I was for years, very negative, pessimistic and constantly thought about what I did not have. I hated my job, constantly thought about what my disability didn't allow me to do, thought every time I failed it was my last chance to succeed and was in a horrible slump. That attitude of course made me unhappy and I lost some friends until one day I realized that this attitude wasn't getting me any where. I needed to change. I needed to put life into perspective!

I then decided to work on changing my way of thinking, to wake up and appreciate what I do have, not think about what I don't (a husband, babies, owning a house). I still strive for the things that I don't have as I think everyone does but I am so grateful for everything I have. I started a new position at work and decided every day instead of waking up thinking negatively that I was going to be optimistic, embrace change and appreciate every breath I am able to breathe. You see thinking negatively and not striving for change keeps you going down the same path. There is no ability to make changes or strive for something better until you believe in yourself and your self worth. Thinking about what I can or cant do, thinking about what I don't have does not help me move forward in life.

I now wake up every day thankful for what I do have: a job, my own apartment, friends, family and the ability to take care of myself. My life with a disability is not peachy and I do have my days where I get beyond frustrated and tired but I still know that things will get better. I know I can create positive changes in my life and achieve all my goals. If I fail I will get back up and try again no matter how many times it takes for me to succeed. I will be proactive and always do my best. My positive attitude has helped me enjoy life!

Today I sit back and as I write this I thank my bad attitude for getting me where I am today, for taking people out of my life that didn't support me but most of all I thank my bad attitude for not sticking around. Complaining daily and not striving for anything better in my life didn't help me at all. So for all of you out there that are feeling defeated, down and stuck in the same slump year after year know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel but changing your path is entirely up to you. Don't be scared of change, know there are people out there that care and support you regardless of your past and most of all find your inspiration and know that if you try hard enough you can achieve whatever you want. Regardless of if you are disabled or not you are capable of making a difference in this world and enjoying life no matter how bad it is now. Snap out of it and start embracing change, don't hide from it.

There is always hope. Everyone has flaws, we are all only human. I hope everyone reading this has the desire to change something they are unhappy with in life. Forgive, forget, move on. Most importantly, never give up! Lean on those you can trust, wake up thinking how lucky you are, be proactive. Sitting on my brand new bed I purchased myself (another accomplishment) I look down at my chair and although it helps me move around because my legs can't function in the end ITS JUST A CHAIR.

1 comment:

Blog Archive

Followers